Yesterday I held a presentation on Reading at IST for Grades 3 to 5. We discussed:
- Balanced literacy includes reading, writing, word work, and speaking and listening
- Reading includes phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension
- In grades 3 to 5 the focus lies on fluency, vocabulary and comprehension
- Reading includes: modeled reading, interactive shared reading, guided reading/literature circles, and 1-to-1 reading with the teacher
- Setting reading goals is an important part of improving your reading
- Teachers typically teach skills in the different areas of reading and then reinforce them through the different kinds of reading, such as shared reading and guided reading
- At IST we use the Bonnie Campbell-Hill continuum and the Diagnostic Reading Assessment to inform our teaching
I encourage you to attend as many workshops as you can. Next week, I will hold a workshop on Reading in grades EC to 2. I look forward to seeing you all there.
Click here to view the handout.